A homeless coat pattern
[This post has been amended, the problem is resolved. The pdf download is now available.]
This post should have gone up well over a week ago but it’s been one thing after another -which I’ll tell you about later and hopefully someone can help solve a recurring problem (amended, since resolved).
Carol Kimball and Carol Phillips (they refer to themselves as the Carols so I will too) designed a simple coat pattern that can be used to make coats for the homeless. The hooded coat folds up at the bottom when sleeping to keep the feet warm and it has sizable inside pockets that can be used to place insulation or belongings. For now, you can get the instructions on how to make the pattern and how to sew it on their site. You are encouraged to freely distribute their pattern and instructions provided it is not sold and credit attributed. I’m sure they’d also like to know if you make any so do write them.
With the intent of making this easier to distribute, I created the pattern in StyleCAD. If you have access to the software, you can download the file. There is an AutoCad version (dxf) or even, a pdf download of this pattern (40 pgs, >120kb) if you don’t want to make your own. We were trying to convert the CAD file into pdf so it could be tiled for print out for people who had neither option. As it turns out, that is easier said than done. Jasonda volunteered to do the considerable work of it but it will be awhile. There are instructions on the web but they involve tracing one’s pattern on letter size paper and scanning in the pages. That seems like entirely too much work especially since we already have it in digital format. I also found a site that offers a tiling service for oversize artwork but I haven’t been able to get the uploader to work. So, if you have better information on how to convert a digital CAD file into a tile format for printing on desktop printers, that would be lovely. I have CS5 but it hasn’t been much help thus far.
I also had another style I was trying to tile, the spiral dress (pt.2) I showed you a few weeks ago. I was thinking this would be an easy and also cute project for a little girl, just in time for the holidays. I tried everything I could to tile this [this has also been resolved], the image below comes from Illustrator where I was trying to make it pretty like. Again, easier said than done since Illustrator and I aren’t on speaking terms.
This dress (girl’s size 5), in spite of having a very full skirt, doesn’t take as much fabric as you’d think. Total yield is about one yard of 60″ wide fabric.
Anyway, I hope some of you will be inspired to make a few coats for the homeless, that someone will have a solution for our tiling quandary and I thank you for both in advance.
Amended yet again (12/16/11, 10:00 AM MST):
With Ann Vong”s help, I was able to resolve a few things and with Ann’s help, create a print ready pattern (pdf).Yay Ann! It should be complete now -except I don’t know how to create tile line up marks. The overlap is .5″. I’ll update the file later if I figure it out [since done, thanks to Ann who did it for us]. I will correct links for the pattern download in my comment below. You know you have the right file if it is named Hcoat_final_version.pdf. I was able to nest all the pieces into the larger piece so the print out is 40 pages.
Should you be having a similar difficulty with tiling and it hasn’t been resolved in comments, see the forum discussion on how to resolve the printing impasse.