FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CHILDREN'S WEAR: DRAWSTRING SAFETY
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lisa DOWNTOWN JOEY

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: CHILDREN'S WEAR: DRAWSTRING SAFETY Reply with quote

thought I'd share my blog post today as it deals with drawstring safety and a solution to my hanging keychain dilemma:

http://thedomesticdiva.wordpress.com/2008/04/18/sewthe-low-down-on-drawstrings-and-a-solution-to-my-clothing-design-dilemma/

With friendship,
Lisa
Esther

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It look like an interesting solution. So the attachment is shorter and pulls apart easily?

There sure have been a lot of drawstring recalls lately!
Lisa DOWNTOWN JOEY

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esther...yes--I can make it as short as I want (using the twill tape or webbing in the clamshell piece) and then attaching it to one of three available clip. And yes, they are "break away" parts...so just a slight tug automatically releases it. No need to push any clips or buttons...you just pull it.

Yes, it's ridiculous the amount of recalls....and there will be more as you see in the amount of this seasons offenders. I just still can't believe that somebody along the way (pattern makers, sewing factories, sales reps, etc.) didn't bring up the drawstring problem...KWIM?

With friendship,
Lisa
Bethany

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent post on your blog.

Personally I have issues with all the recalls. I am ok with not putting drawstrings on hoodies or on jackets around the waist because of the 'catching' factor described on your site. But I totally disagree with the CPSC guidelines for drawstring pants. I think a lot of other manufacturers do as well which is why so many dont follow them. I just got a Mini Boden catalogue today and every single pair of shorts/pants for boys had an elastic with drawstring waist. I have updated my patterns for adjustable waists with elastic, and I really dont see there is that much difference btwn the elastic and the drawstring except it is much more expensive to put the elastic in. I am going to talk to my patternmaker about the drawstring factor and see what she says.

BTW the CPSC are guidelines only and there are no legal ramifications from not following their guidelines.

You what other guidelines I am interested in? The ones concerning pajamas. There is a whole thing about it in the new issue of Earnshaws and as I was going through the Mini Boden catalogue, I saw they made sure to mention their sleepwear was compliant.

And you mentioned in your blog there were no prints for boys at the fabric show- SO TRUE! It has always annoyed me.
SherryR

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bethany,

I'm so glad to see that you brought up the subject of flame retardancy for children's sleepwear. That's one of the big follow-up issues for me following the show. I expected to be able to source fleece that was already treated, but learned that's not realistic - probably not even possible. One supplier suggested that I source a fabric that's primarily cotton - with very little poly. The relatively little synthetic content makes the fabric less flammable. He thought that might be good enough. I've still got to read the CPSC guidelines (and the Earnshaw's article you referenced) to deepen my understanding and, more importantly, to understand the risk of non-compliance.

In the meantime, do others have any perspective or opinions on this issue? Esther, I could have sworn I'd read something that you'd written about that on this site, but I didn't find it when I searched "flame retardant" on this site. Did you write about it on your own site (which I also read...)?

Thanks all.

Sherry.
Lisa DOWNTOWN JOEY

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bethany!

CPSC may only have guidelines, but Wisconsin has REGULATIONS and New York has LAWS:
https://www.apparelandfootwear.org/UserFiles/File/childresnwear/DrawstringsSidebySidewith2004NYChanges.pdf

Yes, the buttonhole elastic is more expensive, however, it gives more value to a product IMHO. I've always been willing to pay more for something adjustable as I can get a longer life out of it. I've been using buttonhole elastic in my designs for the last 2 years and my customers love it.

Funny thing is I went to the LA Fabric Show and the fabric district in hopes of finding the coveted boy prints...cause they aren't here in NYC. No such luck...ugh! Guess I'll have to get creative with my screenprinting and embroideries!

With friendship,
Lisa
Esther

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The buttonhole elastic is better than the waist drawstrings because it is not exposed and not likely to get caught.

Even though the CPSC guidelines are not "laws", the public doesn't see it that way. In their eyes a guideline is the same as a law. I am perplexed that the latest spate of recalls got by so many people - they should all know since the guidelines have been in place since 1996. If the problem is discovered and the manufacturer does nothing, they can face stiff fines or worse.

I think the flammability discussion would make a great new topic. There is a lot of confusion on it. 100% cotton is ok in certain sizes only (mostly infant). Other sizes can have cotton but it must be treated chemically with a flame retardant. Pajamas are also required to be "close fitting" meaning nearly skin tight. Anyone that has purchased children's pajamas in the last few years probably has noticed this. Anyway, good for a new discussion.
Suna

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lisa, have the garments you posted on your blog been recalled already? If the shorts had an elastic around waist and drawstring was only for decoration, my understanding is they are legal. Big retailers like Gap kids and Gymboree have this type of shorts.
Lisa DOWNTOWN JOEY

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of them have been recalled as I got most of them from the CPSP recall list.

Not sure about the others. Was curious, too.

Esther?
Esther

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way to know is to check the CPSC website.

On April 22nd, 8 firms agree to pay fines for drawstrings and failing to report it. Some of those recalls go back a few years....

Of course, if you see a safety problem, you can always report it yourself.
Suna

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esther, I read your letter to ASTM. If you ever got reply from them, would you share with us?
Esther

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course I would share. I wrote the letter out of selfish reasons. I wanted to give people an answer because right now my answer is, "I don't know. Use your best judgment."

I am having doubts that ASTM will ever do anything and if they do they will charge people a fortune for the guideline. I would rather see an "open source" solution or guideline. Someone just has to figure out how to do it.

I figured ASTM would be the place for a standard to be developed since they are the experts in developing standards... Still, I find them unfriendly. I am just one voice, so more than one person needs to suggest it. Perhaps I need to write one letter a week. :)
Bethany

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just in a store on Wednesday and the buyer told me she is looking for pants with a drawstring waist because parents were asking for them. They are much easier for a child to use and it helps the fit issue in a knit bottom. Because there is no clear cut definition about a drawstring in a waistband, I am seriously considering adding them to my collection.
Esther

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The drawstring can't extend more than 3" from the opening/knot and absolutely no knots or toggles on the end.

Even then, there could be problems down the road.
Bethany

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if it is an interior drawstring?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: