FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My thoughts~What do you think?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety
View previous topic :: View next topic  
angelbottomsboutique

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:32 am    Post subject: My thoughts~What do you think? Reply with quote

As I lay in bed last night all this was going around in my head. Then I thought....Would it be cheaper to manufacture our own toys/clothes/products? Where we know where the components come from? Then to test everything? I'm not sure if it's possible but hey we did have a lot of factories years ago that manufactured our products. Use our resources not the countries who sent us these products.

Then as I dosed off I started dreaming about a black market of toys. Waking this morning thinking man I shouldn't read so much before I go to bed. Wink

Jo Lynn
Alison Cummins
Official Archivist
Official Archivist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what you mean? CPSIA requires end unit testing, not component testing. And it applies no matter where the components or end units were manufactured.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my line manufactured in the U.S. That does not make a difference. I'm still required to test my end product.
angelbottomsboutique

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No my thoughts were this. If we would have all the fabrics, plastics and notions made here in the US. ie. create more jobs for the US and have these agencies control such things right off and not have to test so much.

Jo Lynn
lisa versaci

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, you may be better off private labeling as ONLY the company that is manufacturing domestically or oversees will need to provide the Certificate. You would not have to test it yourself.
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure we've discussed this before but private label is no solution. In most respects, as private label is usually defined, YOU are the manufacturer.

Second, even if you were to do private label as it is more loosely defined (meaning pre-made blanks etc made according to a stock program) it is a matter of contractual agreement as to whether they provide the certificates or not and a matter of legal opinion as to whether vendor supplied GCCs would constitute "reasonable" prior to August regulations. Falvey's standing legal opinion as of today says they are not. The fact remains as much as we dislike it; if you sell product to someone downstream from you such as a retailer or consumer direct, you are responsible.
Pamela

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm private label completely and the law applies to us for sure. We manufacture overseas and they do our label for us only.

Pam
lisa versaci

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just referencing this:

"private labelers of imported products do not need to issue certificates"

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09042.html
Vesta

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding of this is that means the factory that made the stuff is not responsible for the GCC. The importer is. So the person that we here would call the manufacturer (the person whose brand is on the label, the person who ordered the product to be made) is reponsible for the GCC. That's us.

Private labeling gets no one off the hook - except the contractors who stitched the stuff together.
angelbottomsboutique

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if you are getting my thoughts. My thoughts are would it be cheaper for us to manufacture everything in the US that we use. Like the fabric, plastics, paints, etc. It has to be cheaper than testing everyone of them.

It will bring our economy back up, give us jobs, and keep us safe.

Jo Lynn
Alison Cummins
Official Archivist
Official Archivist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: What do you mean “we”? Reply with quote

Still not sure what you mean.

Do you mean that you think that DEs should choose components manufactured in the US, making them exempt from CPSIA legislation? (1 - Components manufuacured in the US are not currently exempt from CPSIA legislation. 2 - To get the law changed to add exemptions for components manufactured in the US, how would you go about convincing consumers and legislators that it’s OK for US-made products to contain lead and pthalates but not Canada- or Mexico-made products?)

Or do you mean that you think that overall, the importation of anything but raw materials (e.g. bauxite) to the US should be forbidden by law, and that this would make consumer safety legislation unnecessary? (I will remind you that consumer safety legislation was found to be necessary in the US long before goods were commonly imported from China; I also suggest that closing America’s borders to imports would cause a lot of problems, not the least of which would be black market smuggled goods).
angelbottomsboutique

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I know we can't close the borders to imports. But with the pricing of the testing, would it be cheaper to make the components here and have them monitored kinda like food. I know in my little town there was a fabric manufacturer who just closed it's doors Sad and went to China. Would it be cheaper to have one run of fabric tested and made here in the US than to have it all tested?

Jo Lynn-really not trying to start a controversy. Just trying to help
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably best to let this one go angel. It's a theoretical and doesn't help us any time soon. It'd take years if it were even possible. But I digress. We are focusing on what we need to do in the immediate future.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: