FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need more info please

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkirkpatrick

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Need more info please Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I found out about this new regulation a few days ago and am trying to determine what I need to do to comply. After reading everything I can find, I am still completely confused! (It seems I'm not the only one)

If anyone can help I would be very grateful.

What I create is personalized onesies and children's tees. The finished garments are purchased from Monag (they are doing their own testing and will provide me documentation) and then printed on using Direct to Garment water-based inks.

Since each garment is printed to order do I have to test every single one?? The only difference is the name and maybe the color of the design.

What about the different colors of garments. Do I have to test ink printed on a pink shirt, blue shirt and yellow shirt?? Even though they have already been tested by the garment manufacturer?

By February 10th, what do I have to have in order to keep selling my garments? I'm confused whether I need to have lab tests back, which seems almost impossible at this point.

Sorry for so many questions. And thank you in advance for any help you can give.

All the Best,
Jennifer
Eric H
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to say it, but I think you have a problem as things currently stand. They are not currently allowing component testing, and there are problems with it. There is a related Request for Comment (RFC) currently pending (comments due by 30 Jan). We are conducting [url=//fashion-incubator.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=44]a discussion on this topic in a nearby forum[/url]. Also, I have opened [url=//fashion-incubator.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=3443]a thread asking what you could live with[/url].
jkirkpatrick

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was afraid of that Sad

Although I support tougher laws to protect kids, this just seems crazy to me.

I ONLY print on premade garments in a handful of colors (which have been tested by the manufacturer). I ONLY use water-based garment inks (which do not contain lead because there is no advantage to using lead in this process). And I ONLY sell the garments with printing, no embellishments of any kind.

Looks like I need to join the fight on this immediately. Hopefully we can all make a difference.

Jennifer
jkirkpatrick

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I read more, I wonder if I can at least continue selling my personalized clothing until August

If I have one garment tested then it seems to me that I can reasonably claim that none of my garments contain lead. At least under the initial requirements for February 10th.

Does that make sense?

After all, if the garments don't contain lead (and are certified appropriately by the manufacturer) and I then have one final product tested to ensure that the inks do not contain lead (which of course they don't because using lead in ink has been illegal in the US for MANY years) it seems logical to assume everything is safe.

Am I taking a huge risk thinking this way?

Thanks!
Jennifer
Esther

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are all trying to muddle our way through this. It would be in your best interest to assume worst case scenario and act appropriately. This is about all you can do until CPSC grants exception or issues final rules.
Miracle
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once final clarification is issued by the CSPS (we're hoping for sensible modification as outlined in the NAM proposal //fashion-incubator.com/archive/cpsia-i-endorse-the-nam-plan/), we will have complete guidelines on compliance. Until then, as Esther said, assume worst case scenario.

As such, Im locking this thread.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: