FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CPSC rulings expected today?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: CPSC rulings expected today? Reply with quote

Was there supposed to be some news today from the CPSC? I thought Jan 5th was a deadline...?
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today was the day they're having an inhouse vote on natural materials.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:35 am    Post subject: CPSC to rule on exempt material Reply with quote

If the CPSC rules to exempt natural material, is there still hope they could exempt synthetic fabrics? Or is this decision final on exemptions?
AB

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julie Vallese, spokesman for the Consumer Product Safety Commission, says they are looking into exemptions for small retailers and toymakers and hope to resolve the matter soon.

"The Commission is very much aware of the looming deadline," said Vallese.

Found it here http://www.kval.com/news/37117274.html
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beth C wrote:
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=a0Xr2Iw1Vi_8&refer=us

Has anyone else heard about this? What does it mean to the handcrafter?

It's a start, right?
Shannon Foster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a step in the right direction for many and I am truly happy for those that it helps but unless the apparel maker is going to make a completely natural color line, that doesn't help much. I guess I am pouting selfishly.
Kiki Fluhr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The CPSC exempted wool, cotton, silk, gemstones and pearls in its proposal today.

Does anyone know if it's all wool and cotton or just undyed?
Shannon Foster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got really excited when I read that but the actual proposal states they have to be untreated and unadulterated by the addition of dyes, pigments, etc. The only way these fabrics will be exempt is if they are in their natural state.
Tracy D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew it.....I read the Bloomberg report and thought "cool, wool, cotton, silk. That's a good step....but I bet there's more..." Yep, I knew it would only be undyed. I knew it. They won't be happy until we all look like we just stepped out of some 1980's bad scifi movie, and yes that is redundant.

Raw undyed silk, with clean, 'certified' thread....no lace...you could still make a gorgeous christening gown...and in a couple of months possibly make a bit of $$$ something tells me.

Tracy D
ready to go to sleep and think on this
SarahJ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shannon Foster wrote:
I got really excited when I read that but the actual proposal states they have to be untreated and unadulterated by the addition of dyes, pigments, etc. The only way these fabrics will be exempt is if they are in their natural state.

can you tell me where I can find this info? I am seeing a lot of posts by people who saw on their local news that "all children's clothes are now exempt from the new law" because of this ruling, but I can't actually find anything clearer than the bloomberg story (which isn't specific at all). I'm assuming it's the undyed stuff they were talking about before, but I can't find anything about Monday's ruling specifically.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have mentioned -- I need a link or quote I can send them; I'm personally not buying the news stories. thanks!
Diana, Hanna's Dream

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: I found a link to the ballot on these exemptions Reply with quote

Yes indeed, the news reports are wrong. I just found the actual ballot: http://www.cpsc.gov/library/foia/foia09/brief/leadlimits.pdf

And it specifically says: "The staff recommends that these findings only apply to a material that is untreated and unadulterated by the addition of materials or chemicals including pigments, dyes, coats, finishes or any other substance, and has not undergone any processing that could result in lead content that exceeds the CPSIA lead limits"

So this will not effect children's clothing hardly at all (except for a few undyed t-shirts!).
Frances Liebold

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: 1/8/09 Guidance Intended for Resellers of Children’s Produ Reply with quote

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09086.html
Beth C

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1/8/09 Guidance Intended for Resellers of Children’s P Reply with quote

Frances Liebold wrote:
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09086.html

About time too. Can we now get a ruling on handmade goods????
Shannon Foster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SarahJ wrote:
Shannon Foster wrote:

can you tell me where I can find this info? I am seeing a lot of posts by people who saw on their local news that "all children's clothes are now exempt from the new law" because of this ruling, but I can't actually find anything clearer than the bloomberg story (which isn't specific at all). I'm assuming it's the undyed stuff they were talking about before, but I can't find anything about Monday's ruling specifically.

Scroll down about halfway http://www.cpsc.gov/library/foia/foia09/brief/leadlimits.pdf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: