FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Drawstring regulations
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patricia Barnett

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Drawstring regulations Reply with quote

Hello,

After reading Kathleen's blog today I have been trying to find information about drawstrings in the CPSIA, without a lot of luck. Could anyone direct me to the right page? Kathleen mentioned hems, and the last posting I found was from April 2008, and it says hood, neck and waistline.

We make what we call a Cuddle Gown http://www.punkydookids.com/Infant-Cuddle-Gowns_c_27.html (sorry I can't seem to figure out how to make this a link). I stress that this is not intended for sleepwear, and I secure the ribbon to where it cannot be removed. I just don't want to start out breaking a law.

Thanks, Patricia
Patricia Barnett

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Sorry Reply with quote

Sorry, obviously I didn't have to worry about making a link Embarassed

Patricia
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you follow the link to read Esther's entry? It's marked "catch up" or something like that, near the beginning. That's the best source. There's also two threads in this forum
https://fashion-incubator.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2329
https://fashion-incubator.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2390

The mentions under CPSIA won't tell you anything new or much at all so I wouldn't consider looking for that to be a good expenditure of time. All it essentially says is that all of the previously voluntary guidelines are mandatory and compliance falls under cpsia regs meaning you're liable for jail time now instead of just a fine.

The regs don't apply to only sleepwear so this doesn't help you. It also has nothing to do with whether they will come out. The problem with drawstrings is strangulation, the strings being caught on something and not giving way which poses a danger to the child. Could you substitute elastic?
Patricia Barnett

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Thanks Kathleen Reply with quote

Thank you for getting back so soon Kathleen. I have read all the links that you sent, and I can't find anywhere that mentions a drawstring in the hem. I really can't decide what to do. I have considered elastic, but that takes away part of the appeal of the gowns in that they open at the bottom for easy diaper changing. Plus people just like the big pretty ribbon. Would you mind telling me what you think I should do? I need to quickly, as in right now, since I am suppose to send a gown in to have my first pattern made either today or tomorrow. We are going to make them in sizes 0-3 months and 3-6 months.

Patricia
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would confer with Esther. I'd think you could sew a big pretty bow into place.
Patricia Barnett

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I found Esther on the members list, and the only way I could find was to pm her, and it said that the administrator would not let me pm.

Patricia
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can contact her via her website or even, post to a thread she's posted on because she'll be notified by email. Haven't seen her around today. I think she's canning chiles into salsa.

Once you hit 20 posts or so, remind me to invoke your PM privileges. A lot of members have been complaining that new members don't post, they PM directly which kind of defeats the purpose. Even I have that problem all the time. People email me and say they searched all over the site (and I don't doubt they did) and didn't find the answer to their question and they want me to answer it personally. Which would be okay if it were confidential but it nearly never is. If no one ever posted questions openly and only did PM, there'd be no forum Smile
Patricia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely understand about the 20 posts. I don't really remember seeing that any where. I must admit I felt a little left out there for a minute. I have several other posts I need to make, that I have just been putting off, so that's a little incentive to decide what to ask and just put it out there.

I will contact Esther by posting to her thread about drawstrings.

Thanks, Patricia
Esther

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, been busy canning salsa, book making, etc. As to Patricia's question about drawstrings in the hem. This is a tricky question because you are right, there are NO specific rules about drawstrings in dress hems. I think the general rule is no drawstrings near the neck or waist. BUT the potential for harm still exists no matter where you place a long ribbon, tie, drawstring, what have you. I have seen recalls for ribbon ties, which are not technically drawstrings but happened to be located near the neck. (Which as an aside, I have seen many childrenswear designers putting all kinds of long ties and bows with long ends on clothing lately. Some of these items are around the neck area. Despite even warning some of them, they persist because it is technically not a "drawstring". Think Pillowcase dresses. I'm honestly surprised not to see recalls on those.).

It's confusing because the CPSC issued guidelines in 1996 but there has been inconsistent enforcement through voluntary and now mandatory recalls on a variety of items. Some are drawstrings, others could be argued they are most definitely not. So what do you do? What should I tell you?

In this age of the Consumer Product Safety Improvement act and CPSC penalties and fines, the safest course is to avoid long ties of any kind regardless of where they are on the garment. If you must absolutely have a tie, such as the waist ties of a dress, keep the ties as short as possible.

Now in the case of your baby gown, I can't remember if you stated you sewed through the ribbon to keep it from pulling out? That would be a minimal safety improvement. Better yet, do as Kathleen suggested and use an elastic casing and securely tack a bow on it.
Patricia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esther,

Thank you for answering me so quickly. As I said I am getting ready to have my first pattern made, and need to make a decision about the ribbon drawstring. Yes, I secure the ribbon in the back to where it will not come out. A part of me has always worried about the ribbon and drawstring being dangerous. Not using it makes me a little concerned because the gown opening at the bottom for easy diaper changing has a really big appeal to customers. I keep trying to think of some way to have the same benefit, but remain safe. I guess this is just part of trying to learn the apparel business. Once again, I have really appreciated and enjoyed all the time people have taken to help me.

Thanks, Patricia
Esther

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see how the easy opening would be a benefit and thus the reason for the drawstring. But perhaps there is some other way. A placket in the side seam, zipper in combo with the elastic casing and bow. Of course these things add labor costs.

The drawstring thing is a difficult one, and one I think will only become more problematic over time. You could keep doing it as you are and never have any problems. But because of CPSIA, it only will take one incident or report and it's over. The climate in the childrenswear industry is toxic right now. So I can't really recommend drawstrings of any kind, even if I think your gown is probably ok.
Esther

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooh brainstorm! Buttonhole elastic.
mhswope
Renewing Member
Renewing Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Velcro?

Marguerite
Rebecca Chiodi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patricia, what about using a soft elastic and then at the front a large pleat or placket with a snap or loop/button and the bow for decoration? I know it is more details for production, but might give you the same look. I know where I worked, we had moms looking for the sack nighties we use to buy 'back in the day". They were extremely disappointed that they weren't sold anymore. I love the look of yours, much more fashionable than the older styles. Hope you can work this out.
Patricia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for suggestions. Keep them coming!! I've been thinking of trying different things all morning, and I'm going to try the placket in the front. Esther how you suggest using the buttonhole elastic?

Patricia
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: