FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What exactly happens in August?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety
View previous topic :: View next topic  
happymom4

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: What exactly happens in August? Reply with quote

Can someone spell out exactly what changes take place in August?? I had blogged about it, and was challenged that I'm incorrect. So maybe I am confused on one aspect of that. However, I was also told that if it costs $100 or so to get my custom made items tested, I'm being "scammed". Ummm, don't think so, but did ask the poster to provide contact info for a CPSIA certified lab where I could get it done cheaper!
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please provide a link to your blog entry for context.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.xanga.com/happymom4

And the March 13th entry--see the comments. I may not have all my facts totally straight--after researching some more last night, I think maybe I was confusing the tagging/tracking that starts in August with the testing. But . . . I still insist that I'm not being scammed on the testing! My doll outfits are usually 3-4 piece sets, and include multiple fabrics, multiple laces, ribbons, buttons etc. etc. It would very quickly drive the testing cost WAY up according to all that I have found on-line.

I'm feeling a bit sensitive right now, so everyone be kind please. (Been jumped on about "being too quick to believe every thing I hear about CPSIA" from a really good friend who was dismissing my comment about Amazon pulling items whose owners have not provided a certificate of compliance as something that needed taken with a grain of salt. . . . OY!)
Diana Pham

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I couldn't read your blog entry. It took me to a page that makes me sign in, and I don't have an account.

I know that for sling carriers, August is when we are required to follow ASTM standards for our product, and that requires testing. I don't have my head wrapped around the whole thing yet. So far this is my impression: It's a few hundred dollars to test one or a few items from a batch. Then as long as there are no material changes to your manufacturing process no additional testing is necessary other than periodic testing that's part of your "periodic testing" plan.

I'm sorry I don't know much about your specific product and what the rules are and which standards would apply to you....
Vesta

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diana, this post is from 2009.
Diana Pham

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my god. I'm so sorry -- I didn't even check the date. 😁
Vesta

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. It's been a long row to hoe. We're all tired.
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vesta, in another thread in this section I mentioned that you are an authority on CPSIA and more specifically, baby carriers. I suggested that Diana contact you for consulting if/when she gets to the point of needing assistance. I think it would be good if you fleshed that out a bit (if you wish) as this section is open to the public and visitors may find your services useful.
Vesta

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Kathleen.

I am the ASTM subcommittee chair for F2907 (sling carriers) and F2549 (frame carriers) and I participate in the standards subcommittee for F2236 (soft infant carriers). I have been involved in F2907 from day one, in 2007.

I am a former baby carrier manufacturer and still consult to the industry in product development, business and production improvement, and safety and regulatory compliance. I have varying rates for various services, including getting your company set up and in compliance through the CPSIAReady software ( http://cpsiaready.com/ ).

You can contact me at vesta.bcia at gmail.com .
Diana Pham

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I was going to get in touch with once I was further along and got myself up to speed and permitted to send private messages. I've been working on getting through the forum archives ( as is embarrassingly obvious now)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: