FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dress sashes and kimono ties

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Natalie Minnick

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Dress sashes and kimono ties Reply with quote

Help! I don't know if my designs are safe to sell! I've been selling them for a few years now on etsy, and getting ready to take them wholesale to retail shops, but now I'm wondering if I need to alter them to CPSIA safety standards.

My onesies and jinbeis all have a tie on the side (mostly just decorative, since a snap keeps the kimono in place). All the info I can find relates to ties in the "neck" area and "waist". Would my ties be considered at the "waist", and should I eliminate them?? Darn, they look so cute with them on!
https://www.etsy.com/listing/99194709/baby-toddler-onesie-kimono-onesie-in

Right now I'm marketing my jinbei's (japanese kids casual wear), as pajamas, but I will be changing that to "playwear" since they don't meet the guidelines for pajama safety (ie. not snug, or flame resistant).

And my other concern is the obi sashes on my dresses. They are not attached, and LONG, so I'm guessing these are not going to be acceptable either??
https://www.etsy.com/listing/117098528/girls-dress-kimono-style-cameo-kimono

I'm feeling discouraged....looks like I have a lot of work to do before I'm ready to move onto the next step in growing my business. Any advise/thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
Esther

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, other than the drawstring guidelines, there are no other guidelines or rules regarding ties, belts, or sashes. I think the biggest concern with sashes are length. When tied, do they hang down, are they a trip hazard? Perhaps you could look at a way to achieve the same look without the worry of the sash coming undone and becoming a source of entanglement. Ties should only be long enough to tie with all the caveats as the sash. The various Big Box retailers that I've worked with in the past had various rules regarding tie and sash length. But, there is no formal rules in regards to all of this and none of what I've said can be assumed to comply with anything the CPSC may determine. You can try contacting the CPSC's ombudsman for more guidance and use your best judgment. There is a way to continue to make your designs.

And one other word of advice. The word "onesie" is trademarked by Gerber. If you haven't received a letter about its use, you probably will because they frequently troll Etsy and the interwebs for it.
Natalie Minnick

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advise Esther. It so hard to find any solid answers on this. And, no I didn't know about the onesies....I'm suprised I haven't been contacted about it yet. I best be taking their name out of my titles. Very Happy Thankyou!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: