FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Activism CPSIA: CONGRESS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh well, i decided not to be lazy and i checked all by myself Laughing

a whooping 2 cosponsors...

Bartlett
and good ol' Ron Paul

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we can add another....

my congressman, Rep. Joe Pitts.
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Lamar wrote:
Guys – Below is the text of the new bill introduced by Mr. Posey (R-FL) and Mr. Bright (D-AL) to exempt out thrift stories and second hand sellers from product safety provisions. The exemptions apply to federal hazardous substance and product safety bans that restrict selling used clothing, textiles, shoes, and books (but not toys) as they are applied to thrifts, yard sales, and auctions (of used goods). The exemption does not appear to address charities, and doesn’t address the sale of articles when they are first sold. I don’t know the prospects of this legislation, but it is interesting that this is the first “CPSIA fix” bill that was introduced (in this case co-introduced) by a Democrat.

HR 1027 IH
111th CONGRESS
1st Session
H. R. 1027

To exempt second-hand sellers of certain products from the lead content and certification requirements of the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
February 12, 2009

Mr. POSEY (for himself and Mr. BRIGHT) introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on Energy and Commerce

A BILL

To exempt second-hand sellers of certain products from the lead content and certification requirements of the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,
SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `Thrift Store Protection Act'.
SEC. 2. CERTAIN REQUIREMENTS INAPPLICABLE TO SECOND-HAND SELLERS.

(a) In General- Notwithstanding any other provision of law, for the 2-year period beginning on the date of enactment of this Act, it shall not be a violation of subsections (a)(1) or (a)(2) of section 19 of the Consumer Product Safety Act (15 U.S.C. 2068) or of section 4(a) of the Federal Hazardous Substances Act (15 U.S.C. 1263(a)) for a second-hand seller to sell, offer for sale, or distribute in commerce--

(1) a specified used product for resale that is treated as a banned hazardous substance under the Federal Hazardous Substances Act (15 U.S.C. 1261 et seq.) because of the application of section 101(a) of the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008 (15 U.S.C. 1278a); or

(2) a specified used product without the label required by section 14(c) of the Consumer Product Safety Act (15 U.S.C. 2063(c)).

(b) Definitions- In this Act--

(1) the term `specified used product' means an article of clothing, a textile, shoes, or a book that, when sold or offered for sale, has previously been purchased for use by a consumer; and

(2) the term `second-hand seller' means--

(A) a consignment shop, thrift shop, or similar enterprise that sells, offers for sale, or distributes in commerce a product after the first retail sale of that product ;

(B) an individual who utilizes the Internet, a yard sale, or other casual means of selling, or offering for sale, such a product ; or

(C) a person who sells, or offers for sale, such a product at an auction for the benefit of a nonprofit organization.
SEC. 3. GAO STUDY.

The Comptroller General shall conduct a study on the application of consumer product safety standards, rules, and bans to specified used products and the impact that such application has on second-hand sellers. Not later than 1 year after the date of enactment of this Act, the Comptroller General shall transmit to Congress a report of the study including--

(1) recommendations on whether and how to apply consumer product safety standards, rules, and bans to such products and whether certain products can and should be exempted from such standards, rules, or bans; and

(2) any necessary accommodations that should be made for second-hand sellers, including recommendations for any necessary legislation.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't particularly like that bill. why is no one talking about H.R.968? which, by the way, has 4 cosponsors now. i think H.R.968 makes at least a little more sense - i'd rather see the whole thing repealed and out, but.....

any way, i am quite discouraged. not by Congress, not by CPSC, but by the average Joe. they are totally unaware, and they don't wish to become aware either.

to speak to folks on this issue is like telling them that you've seen a ghost. they don't believe in spooks and goblins. they tell you it was just the wind. but you know what? ghost stories are interesting. even if they thought you were off your rocker, they would listen to all your eerie accounts.

the CPSIA isn't nearly as fascinating.
Tracy D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go Ron Paul!!!!!

he's always fun if nothing else

Tracy
back in Texas (I even use to be in his district for a time, not this time though)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Rep. Bartlett Introduces CPSIA Reform & Improvement Reply with quote

This bill has now 10 cosponsors. will anyone promote this?
Call your Reps.

Kathleen F. wrote:
A [url=//fashion-incubator.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/HR_968.doc]new proposal[/url] (doc) from Roscoe Bartlett, representative from MD. Below I quote the text to save you a download. This is significant because it's a house rather than a senate (DeMint) bill.
Quote:
For Immediate Release:
February 11, 2009
Contact: Lisa Wright at 202-225-2721 or lisa.wright@mail.house.gov

Rep. Bartlett Proposes Legislation to Ensure Safe and Affordable Toys, Books and Clothing for Children

Remaining portion of this text is [url=//fashion-incubator.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=25499#25499]here[/url].

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are now 16 cosponsors...
Quote:
Rep Bachmann, Michele [MN-6] - 2/26/2009
Rep Bartlett, Roscoe G. [MD-6] - 2/10/2009
Rep Coble, Howard [NC-6] - 3/2/2009
Rep Cooper, Jim [TN-5] - 2/23/2009
Rep Graves, Sam [MO-6] - 3/3/2009
Rep Herger, Wally [CA-2] - 2/23/2009
Rep Kline, John [MN-2] - 3/3/2009
Rep Lamborn, Doug [CO-5] - 2/26/2009
Rep Linder, John [GA-7] - 2/13/2009
Rep Luetkemeyer, Blaine [MO-9] - 2/25/2009
Rep McMorris Rodgers, Cathy [WA-5] - 2/23/2009
Rep Paul, Ron [TX-14] - 2/11/2009
Rep Pitts, Joseph R. [PA-16] - 2/12/2009
Rep Platts, Todd Russell [PA-19] - 2/26/2009
Rep Smith, Adrian [NE-3] - 2/25/2009
Rep Westmoreland, Lynn A. [GA-3] - 2/25/2009

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.rallycongress.com/make-second-hand-kids-clothes-legal-/1530/tell-congress-to-support-hr-968/

Send letters easily to your congress people and sign the petition to help the house bill 968 survive
Melanie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:39 am    Post subject: Activism CPSIA: CONGRESS Reply with quote

Hey all-did you see this today on Rick Woldenberg's blog? There is a public rally planned for Wednesday April 1st on Capital Hill.
http://learningresourcesinc.blogspot.com/

I'm considering going...I think we need to have thousands there to make them understand what a huge issue this is, and demand change! Please spread the word and if anyone can attend, please do! I really don't have the money, but I'm seriously thinking of going anyway, because I feel so strongly about this. And if they don't listen when we show up, then I fear they never will.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems interest in the the cpsia forum has all but died.. But here is a very thorough letter on CPSIA effects written to congressman Dingel by Rick Waldenburg http://learningresourcesinc.blogspot.com/2009/03/cpsia-caption-contest.html
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason, this thread is hit constantly by spammers so I'm closing it. If you want to add a post, don't hesitate to [url=//fashion-incubator.com/about/]contact me[/url] because by then, I'm sure the spammers would have reconfigured the bots and I can open it up again. Ditto for any other closed threads you may see hereabouts.
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: attention all texas residents! Reply with quote

It's been brought to my attention that we have a potential friend in Kay Bailey Hutchison of TX. Word has it she's open to lending a hand but she hasn't received a single letter from a constituent claiming the CPSIA law is a problem. She can't do anything if there is apparently no problem. So, it would be great if all our TEXAS residents could correct this oversight promptly.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but she hasn't received a single letter from a constituent claiming the CPSIA law is a problem

Well that isn't true...she received at least one letter, from me. But I don't think she actually read the content of what I wrote because I received a form letter reply that did not address my concerns as a small business owner (on 12/8/08...it's still saved in my inbox).

- Anne Martin (in central TX
www.LittleBoppers.com
lisaaggie12

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Texas Reply with quote

I have written as well, twice actually. I was given the standard response and then wrote back with specific questions that have yet to be answered. The first reponse from her office was sent on 3/4/09.

We Texas gals are fighting down here too!

Lisa
www.knotyouraveragebow.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: