FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Activism CPSIA: CONGRESS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are sending email as opposed to hard copy letters, you should be aware that it's highly likely that your email will not be even be read, much less acted upon. Congressional offices commonly use software that searches their emails for keywords and then generates a canned reply. Nice, huh? I learned of this a few years back when I got a response to an email I sent to my congressman literally in seconds after hitting send button. I picked up the phone and called the office, got a human on the other end of the line and proceeded to explain how I, as a registered voter of his party, resented being summarily dismissed on an issue that I clearly cared enough about to write such a lengthy letter. The aide apologized profusely and promised me a thorough response by the end of the following day. He followed through with his promise. So, if any of you are getting what you suspect might be a canned response, pick up the phone...I don't think these politicians can afford to use caller ID in the offices they set up to work with constituents. The simple, sad fact is that Email and its attendant technology makes it too easy for them to dismss your concerns all while giving the appearance that they are being responsive....tells me they think I'm stupid, on top of being unworthy of their time.....Remind them they work for you....send a hard copy letter and/or make a phone call.

Jody

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I forgot to log in...the previous message was from me...
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved post
my2littlewonders wrote:
I talked with a woman who works for Congressman Markey in Mass. She was wonderful ~ open, willing to take suggestions, and said that his office had gotten lots of letters and emails regarding the situation. She is going to speak to the Congressman about this and agreed with me on many things. I personally am interested in this from a clothing standpoint, but I spoke with her about everything this law affects. She said that there has been a LOT of interest in my area about this, and she will do what she can to have Congressman Markey look into this.

So, in a nutshell, keep emailing, calling, writing, some people ARE listening!
Jody

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone...I stumbled across a new avenue to pursue to put pressure on the CPSC....

The Handmade Toy Alliance has [b]enlisted the aid of the Small Business Administration (SBA)

The subject line is : Nominating an Existing Agency Rule for Reform – The CPSIA

I'm not sure what an "existing agency rule" means or what the nominating process is or entails, but it sounds like they are asking the SBA to appeal to the CPSC on the behalf of small manufacturers. A link to the letter, which lists about 200 members, can be found here:
http://cpsia-central.ning.com/forum/topics/letters-to-politicians-cpsc?page=1&commentId=2536669%3AComment%3A1941&x=1#2536669Comment1941

I love this....one federal agency potentially being compelled by virtue of its mandate to fight another....this may be just what the doctor ordered....

Maybe we should consider submitting a similar letter to the SBA with the concerns unique to our industry. I'm not sure if the Toy Aliiance's concerns are entirely consistent with ours, but we have a lot of concerns in common. A letter would be easy enough to put together given all the commentary we now have. I think our most paramount issues are pretty well defined now. We could just pull from the relevant threads....

I'll be happy to do this if you all are interested. But, I think it will have much more impact coming from the forum with the forum's membership behind it like the Alliance letter does (at least those of us who manufacture children's products). Then again, individual letters might also be persuasive to the SBA.

The address that we would need to send it to is:
US Small Business Administration
Office of Advocacy
Regulatory Review & Reform Initiative
fax 202.205.6928
advocacy@sba.gov

Please respond with your thoughts on this. As with any activism, it's best to strike while the iron is hot. The Toy Alliance sent its letter to the SBA just three days ago. Additional support might just convince the SBA to advocate for us.
Kiki Fluhr

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's a great idea!
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jody wrote:
A link to the letter, which lists about 200 [130+] members, can be found here:
http://cpsia-central.ning.com/forum/topics/letters-to-politicians-cpsc?page=1&commentId=2536669%3AComment%3A1941&x=1#2536669Comment1941

Maybe we should consider submitting a similar letter to the SBA with the concerns unique to our industry. I'm not sure if the Toy Aliiance's concerns are entirely consistent with ours, but we have a lot of concerns in common.

I'll be happy to do this if you all are interested. But, I think it will have much more impact coming from the forum with the forum's membership behind it like the Alliance letter does (at least those of us who manufacture children's products). Then again, individual letters might also be persuasive to the SBA.

Please respond with your thoughts on this. As with any activism, it's best to strike while the iron is hot. The Toy Alliance sent its letter to the SBA just three days ago. Additional support might just convince the SBA to advocate for us.

I think this is a great idea. Fwiw, the HTA's letter isn't as divisive and rhetorically offensive as previous missives they've put out -meaning I was pleasantly surprised. If you wanted to work off of it (I doubt they would have a problem with that), I think it'd be a great idea. I should go over it, there was one element they flubbed in their inclusiveness that we should correct. I mean, I'm glad they were atypically inclusive and I cannot criticize them for the expression of their execution.
martinwood

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: CPSIA Reply with quote

Count me in! I am also sending the same to my congressman and senator.
Jody

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kathleen, do you need anything from me on the SBA letter? If so, just let me know.
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving a bunch of threads here that were started elsewhere. The topic read frustration calling congressmen/women

momto4 wrote:
Is anyone else having MUCH frustration calling your congressmen/women? I am about to scream! I call, and the person answering doesn't even KNOW about the CPSIA...they say "what did you call it?" or "huh" or "what does CPSIA stand for?" Then I had one girl LAUGH when I tried to explain. Rolling Eyes I just want to scream! Are they listening? Does anyone know ? Sorry, I just had to vent a minute. Thank you for listening!!

Vicki P wrote:
Don't give up, just keep calling. My congressman assistant told me that it was a GREAT law and they were PROUD of it....but I'm calling again today and again.

I would add Barney Frank to that list. He is in charge of the Finance committee that is overseeing all the billions of new money that coule be pumped into the economy. Make his office aware of the $$ storm that is about to hit. I have yet to hear of a congress person that has wrapped their head around the financial implications of this law. His phone is: (202) 225-5931

Guest wrote:
anyone know info on the "oversight hearing examining implementation of Public Law 110-314 " it is mentioned here:

http://energycommerce.house.gov/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=691&Itemid=65

we should be able to watch it when it happens. Read the note below on that page.

I googled "OVERSIGHT" and pasted definitions below... and maybe this is reaching far...but wouldn't it be wonderful if they meant the first definition below Smile

1. An unintentional omission or mistake.
2. Watchful care or management; supervision.

Off to call ANOTHER congressman! I just get sooooo frustrated calling them.

Melanie wrote:
I'm in Oklahoma and I called all 3 of my congressmen's offices yesterday...of course, they are all in Washington due to the new session of Congress starting today. At my Rep's office, I didn't get very far, and don't expect any followup...at one of my Senator's office (Inhofe) I was told someone would call me. So far, that hasn't happened. However, I will say that at Sen. Coburn's office, I was able to speak to a legislative asst, who was not only very familiar with this law, but stated that Sen. Coburn actually voted against it! Nice to hear and something I didn't know. I urged him to pass along my comments, and to try to take action on this issue again, before the deadline. He also stated mine was not the first call he'd received. But I really don't expect to hear back from any of them (except maybe Coburn's office)...and am very afraid that with all of the happenings in Washington this month, this issue will not be addressed before February 10th...Am hoping otherwise, and definitely continuing my efforts, but I fear the worst.

Emily wrote:
Yeah I called my congressman's office today and no one had any idea what I was talking about. Then the guy said, "Sounds like it isn't true, did you hear this online or something?" HA

I told him to read the story in the LA Times from January 2nd. He said he would look into it.

Yeah I'm sure he will..sigh

I am going to call again later today.
Kiki Fluhr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this in the Etsy forums here: http://www.etsy.com/forums_thread.php?thread_id=5984172&page=1

At least someone is listening!
I wrote to Senator Orrin Hatch of Utah regarding the CPSIA Law and my (and lots of others') concerns about the impact on small business and handcrafted products. I usually couldn't disagree more with Senator Hatch, but his thoughtful response (not a form letter - yay!) gave me a ray of hope. I've reprinted his letter to me in its entirely below.

Dear Ms. Robison:

Thank you for contacting me about the regulations resulting from the CPSIA and potential impact on producers and sellers of homemade or handcrafted products.

As you probably know, Congress approved and the President signed the CPSIA into law in August 2008. The law is intended to remove harmful products from the consumer marketplace, and I supported the legislation.

Often, after Congress enacts new laws, the relevant executive branch agencies issue regulations to provide guidance and technical requirements necessary to keep and enforce the underlying laws. Unfortunately, especially in the case of something as broad as consumer products, it is sometimes the case that the laws or regulations have unintended consequences. The CPSIA was not intended to harm the kinds of small businesses for which you are concerned. It is apparent, however, that the regulations may need to be altered to make exemptions for certain categories of products and businesses.

I know that many people in Utah may be affected by the new regulations promulgated by the CPSIA. I will work with my colleagues in the Seante to try to rectify the problem. The 110th Congress is now at its conclusion, but there should be opportunities to work on this issue beginning in 2009.

Thank you again for writing and sharing your concerns. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me again on this or other issues.

Sincerely,
Orrin G. Hatch
United States Senator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:56 am    Post subject: Contacting Congress - A "How To" Reply with quote

When contacting your congressional members, you need to ask for one of three people:

1. The Legislative Assistant who handles consumer protection issues, commerce, or children's issues

2. The Legislative Director

3. The Chief of Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The letter from Senator Hatch is the exact same one he sent me.
Kiki Fluhr

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is from this thread: http://www.etsy.com/forums_thread.php?thread_id=5987456&page=1

Quote:
For those who do not know, I have been communicating frequently with Congressman Charlie Dent’s office. His office has been extremely helpful in assisting me gather accurate information regarding the CPSIA. My meeting with Congressman Dent himself is scheduled for January 16, 2009.

I’ve received word today that Congressman Dent is taking up our cause. And he is gathering the support of other Congressmen. So far, Congressman Jim Gerlach and Congressman Tim Holden have joined him to support the effort. Others are reviewing and likely more will join the effort in the next few days. Congressman Dent is sending a letter to the Committee on Energy and Commerce requesting a hearing. This is VERY good news. THIS is how things get changed.

It is the new chairman of the Committee who has the ability to call for hearings on this matter and advance critical legislation to resolve some of the issues. The best way to convince him of the need for a hearing to amend the CPSIA is to WRITE LETTERS to the four Energy and Commerce Committee leaders explaining our concerns and issues with the law as it is written and how it will affect us. Even if you have written to these people before, I urge you to send another letter.

Here are the names and addresses of the four Committee leaders:
The Hon. Henry A. Waxman
Chairman Committee on Energy and Commerce
2125 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515

The Hon. Joe Barton
Ranking Member
Committee on Energy and Commerce
2322-A Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515

The Hon. Bobby Rush
Chairman Subcommittee on Commerce, Trade
and Consumer Protection
2125 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515

The Hon. Ed Whitfield
Ranking Member
Subcommittee on Commerce, Trade
and Consumer Protection
2322-A Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from another thread:

Melanie wrote:
I couldn't find a thread to post this info...but wanted to share a conversation I just had with an asst in Sen. Inhofe's office (Oklahoma)...I expressed my concerns with the law as written, stressing that I was not against child product safety, but this went too far and was to overreaching...then I also mentioned the retroactive ruling by Cheryl Falvey...You could hear her practically jump out of her chair! She said "what? what retroactive ruling?" So I enlightened her about the posted correspondence on the govt website, between her and specifically the letters between Falvey and Brown & Gidding in DC...She was NOT aware a retro ruling had been applied.
Another interesting note...she has been flooded with calls (yeah!), and mentioned she has tried for 2 days to reach the CPSC and they aren't returning her calls. Told her I wasn't surprised and she commented that they usually return the Senator's calls.
She thanked me for obviously doing so much research on the subject and said she was going to start calling the CPSC again...I asked her to call me again, should she get new information...if she does, I promise to post it here...
Kathleen...I emailed you last night, but if you want to contact me, feel free. It's melsccAtYahooDotCom
Everyone keep up your efforts! Washington is beginning to notice that there are a few people who are concerned about this law!
Lighthouse Treasure Trove

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: My congressional contacts Reply with quote

I have been mailing my congressional representatives and anyone else I can think of to contact.
Here is the email I received from Jay Inslee (WA)
Quote:
Dear Mrs. Corless:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the implementation of the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008 (H.R. 4040). I appreciate hearing from you and apologize for the delay in my response.

I would like you to know that I understand your concerns regarding H.R. 4040. Even though it may take time to meet new standards, I hope that we agree that the safety of children's products should be a top priority. I believe that the products on America's shelves should adhere to the safest possible requirements decided upon by scientific evidence.

As you know, H.R. 4040, which passed the House of Representatives by a vote margin of 424 to 1, was signed into law on August 14, 2008. Beginning February 10, 2009, this law bans the sale of children's products containing more than 600 parts per million total lead. It also outlines certain children's products manufactured on or after February 10, 2009 that cannot be sold if they contain more than 0.1% of certain specific phthalates or if they fail to meet new mandatory standards for toys. These regulations have been adopted to protect America's children from hazardous and sometimes lethal substances.

Additionally, H.R. 4040 mandates third-party testing before many toys go on the market. It also requires the CPSC to review voluntary safety standards for toys and, when found inadequate, requires that mandatory standards be adopted. You may be pleased to know that the new safety law does not require resellers (thrift or consignment stores) to test children’s products in inventory for compliance with the lead limit before they are sold. However, resellers cannot sell children’s products that exceed the lead limit and therefore should avoid products that are likely to have lead content, unless the reseller has verification of testing or other information to indicate the products being sold has less than the new limit. Retailers must comply with the law and have verification that the children's products they sell are in compliance of the new law. Further, please know that I have asked my staff to convey your concerns regarding implementation issues of third party testing with the Energy and Commerce Committee as well as the CPSC.

Should you have any additional questions regarding the implementation of this new law, I encourage you to contact my office or visit http://www.cpsc.gov/ for the newest information. Please contact me via email, telephone, or fax, because security measures in the House cause delays in receiving postal mail. For more information on my activities in Congress, and for information on services that my office can provide, please visit my website at http://www.house.gov/inslee. If you would like to subscribe to my email updates, please visit http://www.house.gov/inslee/signup.htm.

Very truly yours,

JAY INSLEE
Member of Congress

I called Senator Maria Cantwell's office and was told that the bill was now law and there was nothing that Cantwell could do about it except introduce an amendment to the Senate. The staffer in DC seemed uninterested. He told me that this was now up to the CPSC to regulate. I kept pressing and told him that she indeed needed to introduce a bill to amend this bill and I wanted my concerns shared with her. He said he would pass them on. I doubt it.

I received a short email from Senator Murray on this:
Quote:
Dear Mrs. Corless:

Thank you for contacting me regarding your concerns about the economic impacts of the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA). I appreciate having the benefit of your views on this matter.

The views of Washingtonians are very important to my work. I will keep your thoughts in mind, and I encourage you to stay in touch. Please do not hesitate to call on me whenever I may be of assistance.

Again, thank you for contacting me. I hope that you will continue to let me know about this and other matters of interest to you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: