FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone else frustrated?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Esther

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do all childrens products (made of fabric) need to be flame retardant too?

No.

But there are certain fabrics that do require flammability testing regardless. Do a search for the Fabric Flammabilities Act.
heartlanddreams

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a most helpful blog entry. And it got my creative wheels spinning and I think I have worked out a temp solution to keeping the doors open. I'm working on implementation right now.

Need to investigate the labeling requirements a bit more to see what I need to do there, but I think I can hold on by my fingernails to see if anything changes between now and then.
Lisa CA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: quick question Reply with quote

I am new here & just started reading about all of this.

Can someone tell me if Diaper bags are involved in this?
I know it is for childrens products 12 & under but the bag is what a mom uses not the child.

SOrry if this is an ignorant ?
Vesta

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say not. A diaper bag is not intended for use by a child. However, I wouldn't want to get into a situation where I was selling a diaper bag with lead (or phthalates, for that matter) in it. Obviously, the children around around these bags, and most likely interact with them.

Then again, I wouldn't want to sell anything with lead in it, besides maybe science supplies. (I used to work with radioactivity daily in a science context, e.g.)
Melanie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: Anyone else frustrated? Reply with quote

I just sent out an email to everyone I know, with the basic information...and I included 2 weblinks...the one to the national bankruptcy day activist site (which is how I found this forum) and to the actual government website itself.
For anyone questioning if it applies..have them try to read the law (yes it's hard to read)...but then direct them to the first letter on the govt site that is posted under General Counsel Advisory Opinion. The very first letter was the Gen Counsel's response to an EXCELLENT 12 page letter from Brown & Gidding, a DC law firm. In this letter, they spell out that it does affect everyone and everything, and the financial repercusions thereof. I figure if a law firm in DC sees the law that way, then we are not over-reacting, but it really is the law. the link to the govt website is
http://www.cpsc.gov/ABOUT/Cpsia/cpsia.HTML
They can click on read the legislation for the actual bill...then they can read the letters between the general counsel and industry people or attorneys with whom she has addressed this issue. Think the letter I refer to was also listed on this forum under a different topic heading. Hope it helps! Everyone keep up the fight!
Jennifer Taggart

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: Diaper bag Reply with quote

Most diaper bags have changing pads - which are covered. So the diaper changing pad is going to have to be tested for lead content.
Vesta

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Diaper bag Reply with quote

Jennifer Taggart wrote:
So the diaper changing pad is going to have to be tested for lead content.

Not only that, but they are a concern, based on your testing history. Good point.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this thread and especially the letter from Katherine F on the first page. I have also been frustrated by my fellow quilters and dressmakers who think they can go on selling "under the radar" or as they are because they don't believe the law will be enforced.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke with Mary Toro at the CPSP (compliance dept) she told me hair bows did not need to meet the flammability requirement but did have to meet the lead. She also stated I can use a "reasonable" test to get me until August. She said the MSDS sheets from suppliers or do an XRF test on products I can not get the MSDS sheet for. Is this correct information? I would say she should know. This will get me to august at least. Thank you so much everyone!
annika

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this will be the strategy for many people until August. I hope that they decide to allow XRF testing beyond August, though. Seems odd that it is "reasonable" now, yet come August, it won't be acceptable. Even if it must be done in an accredited lab, XRF is at least not destructive.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what bothers me also is Mary Toro told me Bureau Veritas would do it for 5.00 per item! I contacted them, they stated it will be 100.00 per item! HUH? I am contacting the lady on the board (jennifer) who changes 100.00 for an hour.
Cathe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: VERY frustrated Reply with quote

On a quilting forum I frequent, the ladies are convinced that this whole CPSIA law only applies to durable goods and will not affect their ability to sell or donate baby quilts, hats, garments, etc. They keep quoting bits of the law to me, and while I TOTALLY believe they are wrong (it's been keeping me online for two days!), I can't find a specific section of the law to copy and paste for them. Can you please help me?
annika

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary Toro told you BV would do XRF for $5 per item? Wherever would she get that idea? The best accredited lab XRF price I got was $65 per item, which isn't horrible for me at all if that means I don't have to retest a different SKU that has all the same components in a different configuration.
mk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Testing diaper bag for Lead Reply with quote

Sorry about this but I am still a bit confused. I, too, am new and am being told by a testing lab that diaper bags too have to be tested for Lead. Yes it is true that a diaper bag can be around a child but it is primarily for the mom/dad and if the argument is that a child will be around it, then that would apply to any thing around the house.
Also, the lab is telling me that if I make a small change to the bag (ex. using embroidery or a different material on a part of the bag), then the WHOLE bag would have to be tested all over again.
Cant understand why the suppliers of the different materials (used in the production) cant give certification for their materials instead of the finished item being tested. Help!!
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mk, unfortunately, what the lab said was right. We're working to hopefully change it. From now until August, you can do XRF testing. After august is another story. You might check [url=//fashion-incubator.com/archive/cpsia-please-take-the-economic-impact-survey/]this entry[/url] on the blog which contains the whole list of articles published on this site in one place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: