FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recall for lead on textiles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Esther

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Recall for lead on textiles Reply with quote

Well, it's happened. A recall of doll clothing sets with excessive lead in the surface paints on the fabric. I want to know where the fabric came from. The recall info only says the whole set came from Indonesia.
Vesta

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are roller printed. Who wants to bet the fabric's from China? And if they were recalled, that means the lead was higher than 600 ppm, right? I wonder how much higher.
J C Sprowls

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... give us some context, please.

Not you... the FCPSC

*yes, that's deliberate
annika

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not the fabric, right, it's the paint, though? This is the type where the paint is really sitting on top of the fabric, isn't it, not like screenprinting?
J C Sprowls

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is screen printed - it's just done with a rolling barrel of screens. There are a lot of formats that screen printing can take - it's pretty overwhelming.

The ink/paint used in the screen printing process contains more than 6 PPM of lead, so the CPSC enforced a recall of this product.
annika

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J C Sprowls wrote:
It is screen printed - it's just done with a rolling barrel of screens. There are a lot of formats that screen printing can take - it's pretty overwhelming.

The ink/paint used in the screen printing process contains more than 6 PPM of lead, so the CPSC enforced a recall of this product.

rolling barrels of screens, I'm having a hard time visualizing, lol. My knowledge of screenprinting is limited to the handdone variety and I've seen those octopus arm screenprinting machines in photos. Anyway, I assume you meant 600 ppm, that is the current limit right? 300 ppm in February?
J C Sprowls

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um... yeah Very Happy 600PPM

Which... is still a very small amount. If you don't have a well, the water board should send you a report every year about the quality of water in the reservoirs. It's an interesting read.

I'm trying to locate my report from last year so I can finalize my letter to the Atty General. I basically want to point out that we're ingesting worse things than we're wearing.
annika

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very interesting point. please do post here when you find it.
Jennifer Taggart

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Limits for lead paint - correction Reply with quote

600 ppm for lead in paints/coatings; drops to 90 ppm in August 2009.
Eric H
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J C Sprowls wrote:
If you don't have a well, the water board should send you a report every year about the quality of water in the reservoirs. It's an interesting read.
I'm trying to locate my report from last year

If you can't find it and especially if you can't find it online, then point out that whereas your freakin' documentation has to be easily accessible whenever some CPSCrat wants to see it, their documentation is harder to find than an honest politician.
J C Sprowls

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
their documentation is harder to find than an honest politician.

Ha! True, that!
Esther

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya know, this is one of the biggest flaws with the CPSC. I don't know. I can understand businesses wanting to protect their sources and all. But if a problem does show up, all we get is a recall notice. We don't get any context or explanation of what happened. None of us are really given a chance to fix the problem or even what to look for. In this case there was excess lead in the surface paint. The surface paint of what part? What paint was used? What could be used instead?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: