FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How does the clothing law affect resale of used clothes ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: An exemption for resellers!-not quite Reply with quote

Quote:
Previously, if a product had been recalled, were you still allowed to sell it?

No.
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More moved topics:

Guest wrote:
Kathleen F. wrote:

There is no exemption for ooak items. Testing destroys the product. The only hope for ooak getting an exemption rests here:
http://nationalbankruptcyday.com/archive/cpsia-cultural-genocide-another-win-for-congress/

Talk it up people, it's the only chance there is.

The quote in question is this passage from this article:

Quote:
There are exceptions to the testing rule for crafters making only one unique copy of each item, said Julie Vallese, spokeswoman for the Consumer Product Safety Commission.

Small toymakers have inundated the commission with questions and complaints about the new standards, she said. Many are confused about whether the new rules apply to their operations.

"It's sticky and it's tricky, but if we can't see that the products are truly one-of-a-kind, they have to be tested," she said. "This is not a time where a manufacturer should be rolling the dice on compliance with the law."

However, the person making the (PARAPHRASED and NOT VERBATIM QUOTED) statement is leaving the CPSIA on Inaugeration Day, so their statements, even if verbatim quoted, but be taken with a grain of salt until equivalent rulings are published.

I was happy to see that, myself, but then realized that I could find NO CPSC published information to back it up. I only make OOAK items. I'll be out of business (a fledgling business for which I've been creating inventory over the past YEAR) unless something is done. I've written and faxed and mailed letters, I've called, I've done what I can.

Quote:
Anonymous wrote:
wrote:
However, the person making the (PARAPHRASED and NOT VERBATIM QUOTED) statement is leaving the CPSIA on Inaugeration Day, so their statements, even if verbatim quoted, but be taken with a grain of salt until equivalent rulings are published.

As has been stated in other threads here, Julie says she was misquoted and the powers that be are quite upset about it. The CPSC as of today, stands by their previous position that ooak is not exempt.

JC Sprowls wrote:
Pity that someone should lose a job because an audience heard what they wanted, not what the messenger was delivering. Well... she was a poor messenger, too. Perhaps that was the point.

Tracy D wrote:
in other words, it will be impossible to make a one of a kind item, because, said OOAK item will be destroyed during testing...therefore you will have to make 2, but if you only have ONE piece of medalion antique lace for a christening gown oh, frekkin well.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Confused! Reply with quote

So, I have read this whole thread and I still am confused...forgive me! Is it against the law to resell my children's clothing after 2/10 since the clothing has not been tested?
Michelle M.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also curious now that President Obama has frozen all pending legislation (including exemptions). Does this now nullify Goodwill's ability to sell used clothing?
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're in worse shape than we were. Cpsia was already law so it's not affected. However, the exemptions for natural materials was in process so that will be halted. There is also some debate as to whether this applies to independent agencies which the cpsc is.
jen m

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Confused! Reply with quote

guest wrote:
So, I have read this whole thread and I still am confused...forgive me! Is it against the law to resell my children's clothing after 2/10 since the clothing has not been tested?

It is not illegal to resell children's clothes but it becomes illegal if some part of the clothing doesn't meet the lead limit and you get caught. In my opinion this law is the WORST for thrift store owners/resellers. The law was not based in our reality. People hold onto things for years and then they donate them or consign them, etc. You could make a guess with toys but with clothes it is more difficult - some snaps, zippers, buttons etc. don't meet the lead limit. It is so irresponsible of our lawmakers to put that burden on store owners. They either need to help people or put the kibosh on the retroactive ruling.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: