FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

You do NOT want a small business exemption
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Miracle
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But you are ignoring the "shades of gray" by insisting interests always align

I didn't say they always align.

My point is not that the small business community should always stand in solidarity with big businesses (I try to refrain from using absolutes like always so it annoys me when people add those words as though I wrote them because I end up rebutting something I never wrote, that completely shifts the nature of my post-- a straw man, if you will).

My point is that it serves no purpose to alienate and point fingers because these are the people best positioned to generate change in this law.
joanna

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, FWIW, I finally read through some of the threads on Etsy. I see what you mean. Some of what gets written there is just bat-shit insane.
sarah r

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is why i have greatly enjoyed this forum. the conversation is level headed and well informed.

I'm sorry, typing with one hand, nursing baby with other.
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GRRRRRRR. Can't say more than this but a proposal is being bandied about by congressman such and such who says:
congressman such & such wrote:
Specifically what I’ve had drafted up is an exemption for products for which there are less than $25,000 in annual sales. Maybe that number is too high – maybe $10K is the right place to set it, but I still feel like this is the right path to follow.

IMO -and altho I do have every reason to believe his heart is in the right place- this is still a bone to placate all those people who are flooding congress with calls and emails. Shut them up and the rest of us are thrown under the bus.
Michelle M.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see producers going to small runs just to fit under the limit. This would make it very easy to manipulate one's business to not need to test.
Melanie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: You do NOT want a small business exemption Reply with quote

Kathleen-I agree with you...and not only does big business pay, or anyone over whatever limit they set, ...but the consumer will STILL be the one paying too...I'm not only looking at this issue as a small business...but also as a consumer, who shops for her nieces and nephews...if big business has to test, that cost will be passed on as well...
Instead of big versus small, they MUST fix the law instead...and then have it apply equally...as it's been pointed out here in other threads...small businesses or manufacturers are just as capable of producing a dangerous product, as a big manufacturer...If the goal is to really have safe children's products on the market, this is NOT the angle to take...by anyone...
annika

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, if I'm manufacturing a product and say, come August, it looks like I'm going to hit the limit, couldn't I just alter the product and call it a new SKU and go back to zero?? There are so many ways people will figure out how to subvert such a proposal.
Vicki P

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Specifically what I’ve had drafted up is an exemption for products for which there are less than $25,000 in annual sales. Maybe that number is too high – maybe $10K is the right place to set it, but I still feel like this is the right path to follow.

I agree, while I am sure that the intent is to help, yikes. I'm really glad that our congress is starting to listen and expect that there will be a lot of exemptions written up in a hurry as the Feb 10th deadline approaches.
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Promising signs out of a given congressman's office this morning. Watch this space for more developments. It is all so very exciting.

We will need you all to go out and flog the dirt -hard- in voicing your support of the measure. We need everyone to blog on it, write letters, make phone calls etc. Anyone with a petition or survey will be asked to email anyone for whom they have an address, to notify them of this development to garner support. We have congressional support but we can't leave them hanging with their arses exposed. We have to back them for going against a very popular law.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: