FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fabrics for home sewers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:48 am    Post subject: Fabrics for home sewers Reply with quote

As a mother sewing for her child, I wonder if this law will affect the availability of raw materials for children's items, such as PUL for diaper covers? Is it only applicable to "finished" goods?
Vesta

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It only affects items intended to be used for children 12 and under. So I can only assume that fabrics with children's prints would need to comply, but generic fabrics won't. Lordy. I wonder what the mills and converters are doing with this issue. Anyone heard anything?
Esther

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. But one of my suppliers is ignoring me. Guess they won't be getting anymore business from me. I told them as much and they don't seem to care. They will though.
blizzard77

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert Kaufman, Westminster and Michael Miller allegedly are testing for lead or working on the process. AH is ignoring me, as is several others. All of my knit suppliers so far are either completely ignorant of Cpsia or not interested in discussing it.

I have no idea what will happen with fabrics bought retail from JA's, Hancock, ect. A lot of that comes over via container straight from China and India.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fabrite, the company that does laminating for most of us who sell fabric (or who have our own fabric laminated for purposes of selling or making dipes), is working on figuring this out. If they are planning to ensure compliance with the law, which it sounds like they are, then that won't be an issue. I'm checking with the "other" PUL source to see what they're doing, but haven't heard back. They are on break right now.

JoAnn's, based on some WAHM phone calls to their headquarters' attorney's office, is not planning to be helpful at all with this. (And why would they, they are retailers only, not manufacturers and not wholesale suppliers.)
Esther

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
with fabrics bought retail from JA's, Hancock, ect. A lot of that comes over via container straight from China and India

A lot of the fabric at the retail stores is the same fabric that manufacturers buy - just repackaged. They buy it from the same suppliers I do - Kaufmann, Arthur Johnson, David's Textiles, etc. One difference is that Wal-mart also buys mill ends in huge quantities. Don't know how the law will affect that.
J C Sprowls

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WalMart has closed the majority of their fabric depts. It's part of the reason HTCW went defunct, resurfaced and is now teetering on the edge, again.
Esther

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My local Walmart still has fabric and a good selection too! A lot of it has to do with the management....
Melissa McKeagney

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blizzard77, that's interesting about Robert Kaufman, and Michael Miller. I had already contacted Westminster, and they provided me with their testing, but as they use the same dyes for many of their fabrics, they didn't test each one specifically.

I had planned on contacting the other fabric companies I use, but haven't had the time before the holidays. Maybe if enough of us pressure them about it, they will provide this as better customer service.

Melissa
blizzard77

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melissa McKeagney wrote:
Blizzard77, that's interesting about Robert Kaufman, and Michael Miller. I had already contacted Westminster, and they provided me with their testing, but as they use the same dyes for many of their fabrics, they didn't test each one specifically.

Melissa

Yes, the others told me the same thing about not testing individual fabrics as they use the same dyes. They do not intend to test individually per the email I was sent by corporate.

Market pressure is going to be big, imo...if component testing results are approved in some way. Obviously we're only going to buy from a company that will provide documentation.
Tina HD

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lawyer from JA's told a co-op owner that they would not be providing certificates for any fabrics. As a retailer, the law does not require it. (and they are correct, it doesn't). Basically told her you'd need to contact the manufacturer of the fabric and see if they have an electronic certificate you could see. Of course, getting the manufacturer information from them will be the next trick.
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tina HD wrote:
A lawyer from JA's told a co-op owner that they would not be providing certificates for any fabrics. As a retailer, the law does not require it. (and they are correct, it doesn't). Basically told her you'd need to contact the manufacturer of the fabric and see if they have an electronic certificate you could see. Of course, getting the manufacturer information from them will be the next trick.

See, that's a big conflict. I imagined retail fabric stores would not be providing GCCs, they will get those from their suppliers (if applicable) but they are under no obligation to pass them forward. Their infrastructure isn't set up for it. That's why -if component testing is permitted, it's not- you can only get the testing data if you buy wholesale. And that's a whole other pickle. If you buy from a jobber, you likely won't get them. You'll have to go through an approved fabric rep. And of course they will provide them, you make that a condition of sale. That's why you'll favor some vendors over others. After awhile, word will get around to the vendors who aren't on board and losing sales.

Again, don't bite my head off, the cpsia could be a good thing for some small businesses because they actually qualify to buy wholesale fabrics, they haven't pursued it because they don't know the means of doing it (how to have a transaction conversation), know the lingo, it's intimidating. It'll force people out of their comfort zone and complacency.
Tina HD

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually agree. If component testing is allowed, I think market pressure will force suppliers to provide certificates, because if they don't buyers will look elsewhere.

The co-op owner I mentioned is busting her tail to get her suppliers to provide certificates for the fabrics and notions she offers. And has changed suppliers when they refused. While I am too small to meet minimums on my own, you can be sure I'll be ordering with her because of the work she's doing.
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tina HD wrote:
The co-op owner I mentioned is busting her tail to get her suppliers to provide certificates for the fabrics and notions she offers. And has changed suppliers when they refused.

Let's hope this pans out. What everyone MUST remember at this point are two things:
1. Component testing is not permitted
2. We are not permitted to use vendor supplied certificates.

Iow, her efforts could be all for naught, at least as we are concerned.
Melissa McKeagney

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true Kathleen, which is why I would love to see some more posts in the comments section of the forum. I know I am struggling with these questions because I don't have experience working in a manufacturing environment. I'm a flight attendant for god's sake!

I am doing my best with the questions because I think this is our best hope of amending the law, not to say that media attention and putting pressure on congress aren't good ways too. But the CPSC has given us an "in", and I intend to take full advantage.

Melissa
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: