FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hang Tags and packaging?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark from Denver

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Hang Tags and packaging? Reply with quote

Do hang tags for children's apparel, and packaging also need to be tested to meet the CPSIA requirements for lead? How about the plastic attachees for hang tags? Price stickers? By packaging, I am referring to the plastic bags and boxes that children's products come in, and not the products themselves. I've been reading like crazy, and haven't come across these particular things. Thanks.
Vicki P

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question Mark. I am hoping to find out if my hang tags/little pins I attach them with pass when Jennifer scans my things. I thought of this too. Obviously the child is not going to wear the hang tag but I want to know that everything passes, even the tags.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I understand, the packaging only has to comply if it is part of the product itself. In other words if it is meant to be re-used like a carrying case or a holder, then it would need to comply.

I don't think that a box, tissue, or other types of packaging have to comply if they would be discarded after opened.

The CPSC just issued a recall for a carrying case for a manicure set that had exceeded the lead levels, but the manicure set itself was fine. That is the sort of thing I'm talking about. As for hangtags, I haven't heard that myself, but I would think that because it would be discarded that it wouldn't have to be lead tested.

I'll try to dig up where I read about this. I think it may have been in one of the opinion letters.

Melissa
Melissa McKeagney

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, thought I was logged in, that was me above. Anyway, here is the FAQ page I found it on:

http://www.cpsc.gov/ABOUT/Cpsia/faq/faqs.html

Here is the question asked and answered:
Does packaging have to comply with the lead requirements? Does it matter if the packaging is intended to be reused (e.g., heavy gauge reusable bag with zipper closure to store a set of blocks)?

CPSIA defines children’s products as those products intended primarily for use by children 12 and under. Packaging is generally not intended for use by children, given that most packaging is discarded and is not used or played with as a children’s product. However, if the packaging is intended to be reused, or used in conjunction with the children’s product, such as a heavy gauge reusable bag used to hold blocks, it becomes a component or part of the product, and would be subject to the lead requirements of CPSIA. It should also be noted that many individual states have adopted packaging laws which address toxics in packaging or packaging components and which have not been preempted by Commission action.

Melissa
Mark from Denver

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Hang tags, etc. Reply with quote

Excellent information. Thank you for your replies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: