FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aprons Strings and Drawstrings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Susannah Allen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Aprons Strings and Drawstrings Reply with quote

I have a problem I'm stuck on. I would like to ask for clarification on drawstrings. I read the gov't sites and even a definition of a drawstring. I have made numerous phone calls of which no one ever answers messages.

Here's my question....I make a girls apron which ties behind the neck and also behind the waist. (So do most aprons)....By definition they aren't drawstrings because they aren't closed nor do they hang loose. But I also read "Nothing that ties at the neck or waist" .....dont all aprons tie at the neck and waist? Also Childrens Bonnets... I have read places where ribbons arent allowed nor fabric as a tie.... so we cant tie hats on?

Before I commit to never sewing for children again, I thought I would ask the forum.
Natalie Hennekam

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry I can't help you with the legalities ... But thought I'd share what I do.
Basically I have the "ties" come all the way around and snap to the other side of the garment - that way they can't be tightened. If I want it to have a more traditional look, I fix a bow to the back so it looks like it's tied at the back.
Hope that helps ... And would be interested to know if what I'm doing is actually in line with what is required of you in the US.
Esther

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonnet/Hat ties and apron ties fall into a grey area. At this point the rule focuses mostly on drawstrings of the neck and waist on outerwear, like jackets. BUT, there have been recalls for drawstring-like items on blankets. There have been recalls for ties which are stitched down and are mostly decorative. There have been drawstring-like recalls for items that are arguably not drawstrings.

With regulatory agencies creating ever more crises in regards to children's safety, you are right to be concerned. It is hard to know what to do and it is hard to know what advice to give. Watch for drawstring recalls and see what the agency recalls and why.

If you must have ties, make the ties only long enough to be functional - make them as short as possible. I see a lot of childrenswear with ties at the neck and/or waist, which are excessively long. Don't make something long just for the style.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: