FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What about Charity Organizations?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShariB

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kathleen F. wrote:
Let's refocus. The claims from legislators (altho technically hearsay, I don't doubt they said those things) bouncing this around as "commerce" vs charity are ridiculous. The reason is, the law specifically forbids GIVING product away that is non-compliant. This issue was specifically addressed in the legislation because commercial enterprises must destroy product. They can't export it and they can't give it away. Besides, if they're giving it away, they are obviously not acting commercially.

I'd love to see what congress does with this one. To give PL an exemption, in effect, they will have to declare that products made from the heart are somehow safer than ones made for profit. Considering that people -no matter how well meaning- who make things out of the kindness of their hearts are on even tighter budgets than commercial enterprises, often relying on lower cost goods and donations, if anything, those inputs being cheaper are more likely to have contaminations (if anything were to).

My head must be in the clouds...when I found out a few days back that resellers were allowed to resell used goods without testing them I thought this would allow me to donate my unsold stock to charity and allow them to 'resell' (though for no profit), but giving to needy children in my community. This doesn't make any sense. I don't understand why resellers can do it but charities can't.
DAMC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAMC wrote:
Although not a charity, how does this affect the people on the various FreeCycle.org groups? You've got thousands of people giving stuff to eachother for free to keep our landfills from over flowing as well as recycling. All good for the environment. I just checked some recent posts on my local freecycle chapter and many are giving away childrens clothing and toys. I tried to find an email address on www.freecycle.org, but couldn't find one.

I found an email address for freecycle.org and have informed them.
So much for trying to become a greener world
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: