FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Activism CPSIA: CONGRESS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vesta wrote:
Does anyone know of a site from which I can email multiple congress people (like the members of the subcommittee on commerce, trade, and consumer protection)?

this isn't the complete answer but I'm cross posting from Rick's message:
Quote:
a. First, write your Congressman and your Senators. This is very important. You can find your Congressman and Senator using the TIA's website, see http://capwiz.com/toyassociation/dbq/officials/?zbrandid=4083&zidType=CH&zid=598563&zsubscriberId=1001152853. On this site, just enter your zip code and you will see links for your Congressman and Senators. Under the pages for your representatives, you will see a tab marked "Contact". If you click on this tab, you see a line which says (for example) "Contact Sen. Richard Durbin via Web Form". By clicking on "Web Form", you will be able to compose a 10,000 character message and send it right away. You can cut and paste our sample letters in this space if you wish.
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke too soon!!!!!!

Courtesy of our friends at the AAFA, USE THIS:

http://capwiz.com/americanapparel/issues/alert/?alertid=12274476
Vesta

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good, and I used it, even though I also sent these three yahoos snail mail. But I'd love to do the same with the relevant subcommittee, too. There are so many members.
Eric H
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

comment moved from other thread
LeAnn Contessa wrote:

I finally emailed and called the local office for my Representative. Boy did they get an earful and an education. Completely clueless about this whole thing. Please everyone, contact your local people as well!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:41 am    Post subject: Organizing phone flood over at Etsy Reply with quote

Over at Etsy, I've started a thread to organize a phone flood. I believe phone floods can be very effective in letting our misrepresentatives know we're agitated and willing to organize. Though it looks like this one will be pretty smallish, I'll try to get another one done next week also. Since congress will be on vacation later this month and NOT RETURN UNTIL MID JANUARY, it's vital we get them now. Please sign up:

http://www.etsy.com/forums_thread.php?thread_id=5945166
Wacky Hermit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: I'm organizing a protest Reply with quote

I'm organizing a mail-in protest on Etsy, but I'd appreciate any support from anyone who wants to participate. The idea is to mail a sample of our cute handmade stuff that is going to be taken off the market by the lead testing requirements to Bobby Rush, with a letter telling him of our plight and how this item is a gift to him because it can't be sold, since it's going to turn into a "hazardous substance".

http://www.etsy.com/forums_thread.php?thread_id=5949146

I think he should see what is being taken off the market. It might make it more real to him if he has to step over it to get into his office and has to figure out what to do with it. (Probably he'll give it away to charity or constituents, but at least he'll have to spend some time figuring it out, just like we do.)

This is what I posted on Etsy:
Quote:
Here is the address of his Washington office (this is from his official website so I presume he intends it to be public knowledge):

Rep. Bobby Rush
2416 Rayburn HOB
Washington, DC 20515

Let's make sure we don't put "Hazardous Substance" on the outside of the box, or else they'll have to call in the bomb squad or something.

Suggested text for enclosed letter:
On Feb. 10, 2009 this item will turn into a
[really big font]HAZARDOUS SUBSTANCE[end really big font]
Don't let this happen!

I am a crafter [or artisan; I don't want to reopen that debate] who makes and sells one of a kind items for children. It is financially and physically impossible for me to do all the lead testing that the CPSIA requires. Since all my products will legally be classified as "hazardous substances" on Feb. 10, 2009, I am sending one as a gift to you. How else am I going to get rid of it, if it will be a felony to sell it? Hopefully you can find something to do with it before Feb. 10 too, so that you don't have to call in the hazmat team to take it away.

Of course, Rep. Rush, if your committee would reconsider the interpretation of the CPSIA, I might not have to go out of business...

Sincerely,
[your name]
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this idea. I wish I had something to send him. I posted this over on Rob's post today.
Kiki allthenumbers

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just logged in to post a link to Wacky Hermit's thread but you beat me to it! Count me in! One miniscule dress being shipped to Bobby Rush today!
Vesta

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great idea. I'm in.
Esther

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so you know Washington DC mail is still being scanned for Anthrax and who knows what else. It makes takes as long as 8 weeks to get to him.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just so you know Washington DC mail is still being scanned for Anthrax and who knows what else. It makes takes as long as 8 weeks to get to him.

Maybe they can scan for lead while they are at it.....just kidding.
It is great to see the momentum of people getting involved.
blizzard77

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! Here goes another dress...hope someone on his staff needs some cute girl's clothes!
Wacky Hermit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: This is great! Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, I'm really heartened by the response to my suggestion for the mail-in protest! Let's all keep up the good work!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love that idea -- I wish I had something other than my precious samples to send! I hand-delivered a letter to my representative's office, emailed everyone else that has been suggested, and sent a follow-up email with more specifics to my senator after getting a generic "lead and phthalates are dangerous" reply to my first email.
Eric H
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esther wrote:

How do we know the mail is anthrax free? Do they provide a GCC?! Huh?!? Yeah, I didn't think so. So how do we know it's anthrax free? For all we know, it's chock-full-o' anthrax. To adopt the PIRG's rhetorical stance, we demand that the Post Office stop delivering anthrax-encrusted mail.

Sorry, the meds haven't kicked in yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: